GET-IT: TEAMS DAY | 1-Day Free Virtual Conference all about Teams. Here on Petri.com - 8/12/20 Sign up for our latest webinar!

Uninstalling Vista… Install XPpro

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro Windows Vista Uninstalling Vista… Install XPpro

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    alaskaroad

Greetings…

I am the technical administrator (if you could call me that) for a small private school. I purchased 6 new laptops for the students that have vista home installed. Before buying them I knew Vista was not going to work for our environment as it is too overloaded in many ways for 3rd through 7th graders to learn the basics on. But the deal was good so I figured I would uninstall Vista and install XPpro since the kids are used to that and we have a networked domain. I read up on the subject and I also knew it was a tedious process to downgrade and I was ready to slipstream the XP cd to get the hard drive to work. I did the slipstream and got it to install but after the complete process, as it boots for the first time, I get a stop screen for a split second and it goes into the continual loop of shutdown and restart at the blue screen. There is an even shorter moment before the stop screen that says “invalid boot.ini” I have repeated this process on 3 different laptops now to see if it is an individual issue or not… same thing.

I can’t, or don’t know how to check the files since it will not allow the repair console or safe mode or command prompt. Also, I don’t know how to get other needed drivers that come from HP into the computer unless I can boot into XP.

Here’s what I have:

HP Pavillon dv6000 Laptop
    Vista Home
    iaStor HD driver slipped into the install using
    XP Pro sp2 CD with full legal license

I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thank you for your time.

MartinT

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.