Unable to create shadow copies (on a specific volume)

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 Unable to create shadow copies (on a specific volume)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ser Olmy

I’m experiencing a scenario I’ve seen only too often: On one particular server, VSS is unable to create a shadow copies. My question is: How can I troubleshoot this issue in order to find the underlying cause?

Some details:

On the affected Windows 2003 server, the problem is related to one specific volume; a drive with a single NTFS-formatted partition that holds only shared files. For all the other volumes, including the system drive and a drive hosting several MSSQL instances, the shadow copy operation completes successfully.

As for the affected drive/volume, whether I try to create a shadow copy manually (I’ve installed vshadow.exe) or by using a backup application, the result is always the same: After several minutes, the operation times out with error 0x80042306, “VSS_E_PROVIDER_VETO”. vssadmin list writers shows all writers as “stable”. (Not that it should matter, because no application-specific VSS writers are invoked for this volume as it holds only file data.)

I’ve tried all the usual suggestions, such as installing OS-specific hotfixes, deleting the Subscriptions subkey under HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftEventSystem{26c409cc-ae86-11d1-b616-00805fc79216}, rebooting multiple times etc, but the problem remains.

Interestingly, the issue appeared after I deleted and reformatted the volume in question, which I did in order to change the partition scheme from Dynamic Disk to MBR, and also to fix a partition alignment issue. I strongly suspect there might be a reference somewhere to the old partition/volume ID, or perhaps to the now-deleted Dynamic Disk metadata, but where?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.