Trying to repair registry with XP boot disc

Home Forums Security Forgot Administrator Password Trying to repair registry with XP boot disc

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    InsaneHanz

Alright, here’s my computer’s problem:

All of my desktop shortcuts are broken, example “Mozilla Firefox.lnk”. I try opening them and an error saying this pops up:

“Windows cannot open this file:
    File: *file’s name here*.lnk
    To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it…”

The rest is just giving me options to either search the web for the appropriate program or browse my computer for the program.

I have an idea what is causing this, when I go Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types, EXE is not in the list. It goes from EXC to FAD. I tried adding EXE, it appears there but won’t fix the problem. (I restart my computer and EXE is missing again)

I managed to open regedit.exe by finding the file in the WINDOWS folder and right clicking > Run As…(going to Start > Run.. > regedit.exe gives me an error)

I tried importing a .reg file that was supposed to fix my problem but an error pops up saying some keys are currently being used by other programs or processes.

I do have a restore point saved from a few months ago but I’m not so sure importing it would not harm my PC more.

I have a Windows XP boot disc, I’ve tried the repair option but I need the administrator’s password. I have no clue what it is and I have tried a blank answer. Is there a way I can reset the admin’s password with my PC in it’s current state? (by the way, the problem also exists in safe mode)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.