The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services Active Directory The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    igor7

Hi, there!!
    Recently I’ve faced “The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed” error after using system restore on one of the Windows 7 domain member machine:
    670e91202ac6.jpg
    For one or two domain member machines it’s not a hard issue. But we’re noticed it’s happen again and again once user used system restore or an old system image has been restored on particular machine. Actually, in my case this issue related to machine account password… The machine account password change is initiated by the computer every 30 days by default . Since Windows 2000, all versions of Windows have the same value.
    When I encountered this issue, I had to go to “Active Directory Users and Computers” console, find the computer object, reset the computer account, log-in with local administrator account on the system, join to a workgroup, reboot, log-in again with administrator account and join the system back to the domain. All these steps could take up to 30 minutes… so I’ve searched the web for more efficient method. Solution for this issue was found here: http://www.networknet.nl/apps/wp/archives/1938. Since it took some time for me, I’ve decided to share my experience here, may be it will be useful for somebody else… Back in the old days there was netdom.exe command line utility which has an option to reset the machine account password in domain controller. Out of the box netdom.exe tool is not available on Windows 7. There are two option to get the netdom.exe command line utility working on windows 7:
    1) Logon as local admin, install Remote Server Administration Tools (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7887), enable netdom by running following command:

start /w pkgmgr /iu:RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-DS-SnapIns;RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-DS;RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD;RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles;RemoteServerAdministrationTools
    [/CODE]
    reset machine account password by running following command from elevated cmd session:
    [CODE]
    netdom.exe resetpwd /server: /userD: /passwordD *
    [/CODE]
    Where:
    – domain server. Can be found by running following command on different domain member machine:
    [CODE]
    echo %LOGONSERVER%
    [/CODE]
    – user name of domain member user with administrative rights on affected machine.
    You’ll be asked for user password, reboot machine and logon as usual.

2) logon onto affected machine as local admin. Download and unpack following archive:[URL]https://mega.co.nz/#!Jp01zSqJ!xpXY0osj69oC9hIIBGXQ1re4xzx7ErHVdSbYI_Oxlso[/URL], run NetDom.Install.cmd with elevated privileges (working on both 32 and 64 bit OS).
    Reset machine account password by running following command from elevated cmd session:
    [CODE]
    [/CODE]
    Enjoy![CODE]
    start /w pkgmgr /iu:RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-DS-SnapIns;RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-DS;RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD;RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles;RemoteServerAdministrationTools
    [/CODE]
    reset machine account password by running following command from elevated cmd session:

[/CODE]
    Where:
    – domain server. Can be found by running following command on different domain member machine:
    [CODE]
    echo %LOGONSERVER%
    [/CODE]
    – user name of domain member user with administrative rights on affected machine.

2) logon onto affected machine as local admin. Download and unpack following archive:[URL]https://mega.co.nz/#!Jp01zSqJ!xpXY0osj69oC9hIIBGXQ1re4xzx7ErHVdSbYI_Oxlso[/URL], run NetDom.Install.cmd with elevated privileges (working on both 32 and 64 bit OS).
    Reset machine account password by running following command from elevated cmd session:
    [CODE]
    [/CODE]
    Enjoy![CODE]
    [/CODE]
    Where:

echo %LOGONSERVER%
    [/CODE]

[CODE]
    [/CODE]
    Enjoy![CODE]
    echo %LOGONSERVER%
    [/CODE]

2) logon onto affected machine as local admin. Download and unpack following archive:https://mega.co.nz/#!Jp01zSqJ!xpXY0osj69oC9hIIBGXQ1re4xzx7ErHVdSbYI_Oxlso, run NetDom.Install.cmd with elevated privileges (working on both 32 and 64 bit OS).

[/CODE]
    Enjoy![CODE]
    [/CODE]
    Enjoy!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.