Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3

Home Forums Other Misc Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    hongman

Hi all

At the risk of feeling a bit dumb, here is my predicament.

I have used Backup Exec on quite a basic level since version 11. I know how to administer it for day to day operations, like setting up Backup Jobs, restoring files, etc.

But I am still unclear on the “right” way of how to use this product, mainly in DR scenarios. I had one recently where the server that Backup Exec was installed would not boot due a RAID crash – that took nearly 4 days to get back up and running.

So my clients vary slightly, some use Tape, some use External Hard Drives, but I do them all basically the same, as all of them backup similar stuff.

-Daily backup job Mon-Fri which will contain everything (File/Exchange/SQL/System State/Shadow Copy Components)

-Incremental Mon-Thurs, FULL on Friday

I’m guessing that is about it for backup job setup.

However, when it comes to anything past simply restoring an email, or file, or folder, I start to get a bit unsure.

So say if the Server with backup exec fails for whatever reason. The way I see it, in order to access those backups, you need Backup Exec. So you need to at worst, get Windows installed and Backup Exec installed, before you can do anything.

System State – when should you use this and what does it actually restore? All of your User Accounts, etc? Would this be restored after reinstalling Windows Server to get AD/Registry etc?

Can someone enlighten me on their thoughts on this? I have looked at doing a Symantec course but they cost like $3,500. I’ve just about managed to scrape by on many occasions but I am ever aware that sooner or later I’m going to get caught out in terms of recovery…rather not play a lottery and be sure I know what I need to do.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.