Switching from Home Folders to Folder Redirection

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 Switching from Home Folders to Folder Redirection

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    TxJeepers

I currently have home folders setup through the AD>User>Properties>Profile tab for my 35 user in a 2003 Standard environment. It has not been long and there is not much use of the home folders.

I want to move to folder redirection via group policy and move the users MyDocs and Desktops to a server share. I’ve been reading up on this in MS TechNet and have found that it does not recommend using home folders for redirection. That is fine.

I don’t care if I keep the home folders, since they are not really being used. So I was thinking that I would just go to each users profile tab in AD and check ‘local path’ instead of ‘connect’ under the home folder section. Then go to the ‘user’ share on disk and delete the user’s folder.

After doing this for all users, I’d delete the user share itself from disk and then proceed to implement the folder redirection in group policy with a new share just for it.

Am I going though a lot of trouble? Would you take the same steps to achieve the same goal? Better recommendation?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.