SQL Server 2008 R2 Web edition connection error Connection string not valid (ID 87)

Home Forums Other Microsoft Servers and SaaS SQL Server 2005 / 2008 / 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2016 SQL Server 2008 R2 Web edition connection error Connection string not valid (ID 87)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Chromebuster

Hello all,
    This is driving me nuts. I just recently installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Web edition onto my 2008 R2 Foundation edition server. I there are two very strange things going on here, and I wonder if that’s what’s contributing to this. After installing, I went to SSMS to log into the server as SA for the first time. I had chosen Mixed mode authentication due to the fact that a web application that’s going to be installed on the server needs it. Upon logging into the instance (the only instance that should exist on the server, but strangely there is an express instance there as well), called mssqlserver, I received the following error:
    TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to Katherine-servmssqlserver.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 – Connection string is not valid) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 87)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=87&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

I have an idea that this means that the only solution to this would be to reinstall it, considering I have no way into the server to modify the password, right? I’d like to avoid that if I could, so if there’s something I don’t know, please let me know. And despite what the error says, I was not trying to remote into the instance of the server. I was only trying to connect to it from the local machine. Thanks for any feedback you have, and I really do appreciate anything you can provide, and in turn, if you need more information from me, please ask for it.

Chromebuster

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.