Slow Win 7 Startup on domain

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 7 Slow Win 7 Startup on domain

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ALEX0264

Hello,

I am trying to diagnose a problem where workstations are taking a long time before you can push ctrl + alt + del. These machines are all part of a domain where the server (SBS 2011) is a virtual machine (using Hyper-V).

Ever since we switched over from SBS 2003 (non virtual) to SBS 2011 (virtual), we have all suffered with a really slow machine start-up. Basically the message ‘please wait’ is displayed for quite a while before you can do the above and login. The thing is sometimes it can be ready in 15 seconds, other times you can be waiting over a minute. Apparently this is the PC loading the group policies, but why does it vary on how long it takes.

The network is a bit all over the place. We have 2 x gigabit switches and 1 x fast Ethernet (100mb) switch. Most of the PC’s are connected via Gigabit Ethernet, but unfortunately some phones also use these two switches. One thing I’m curious about is whether the use of cat 5 and 5e cables would make a difference. We have got a bit of both, but 3 out of the 4 which come out of the server are only cat 5. Would this have an impact?

Basically I’m just trying to find the cause of what causes the slow start-up. If you disconnect the Ethernet cable before you switch the PC on, it takes about 5 seconds at the welcome screen before you can push ctrl +alt + del.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance
    Alex

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.