I have a client who has recently been issued a new Windows 7 laptop by their company. The previous laptop was winxp.
The laptop is used in numerous locations, so is configured to use DHCP. There is also a desktop at the client’s home, connected to the router via an ethernet cable.
The new laptop will not obtain a DHCP address from the router. The wired desktop is NOT experiencing issues obtaining a DHCP address.
I have completely removed all security on the router, and the laptop won’t grab an address.
I then assigned a static address, and it works perfectly.
I upped the security to WPA2 again, and laptop still works with a manually assigned address.
I then changed it back to DHCP, and the router would not issue an address.
The router in question is a Tiscali provided Siemans Gigaset router. It has definitely been rebooted multiple times. I cannot find any MAC filtering options (there are very limited control options for this router) and I know it’s definitely authenticating properly.