crobertsonMemberApr 07, 2011 at 8:18 am #154141
I’ve setup a few servers (server 2003) and haven’t had any problems, but I’m sure there are steps and tweaks that I do not know about. I would like to get a sticky with all the additional settings and tweaks that should go into every server setup. Here are a few of my own.
Define server forrest
Server 1 – Office/accounting
Server 2 – file sharing – non-critical/financial information
Server 3 – etc
Setup shares before setting users
Determine share scheme
- Domain Admin (IT guy only)
- Admins (managers)
- Users (users)
- Guest (Only if you must)
Create login.bat script for users based upon account types and shares for mapping
(User.bat Admin.bat poweruser.bat)
Create user groups (other then the predefined groups)
Set share access according to groups (not users)
- Password complexity
- Password life
- Login message
- USB off on server
- Windows Update policies
- add more here…
Create users – Create the first in a group and test;
- Login access
- Login script
- Share access
Duplicate user and simply change the name & password
..Repeat for other groups.
Ensure domain is visible.
- Weekly cleaning (clean manager or 2nd party)
- Computer Management (For open sessions and viewing errors and events)
- Active directory
- Remote login (Logmein/teamviewer etc)
- Onsite backup Daily (Backup drive with folders Monday – Sunday with daily backup)
- Monthly snapshot (to DVD or removable drive)
- Annual snapshot (to DVDs or removable drive stored offsite or firesafe)
- Offsite backup solution?
There are a LOT of gaps here. Long time users feel free to edit/add information. I just want to get the ball rolling. If there are other threads or articles already in place, please note them.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.