Server 2008 unexpected shutdowns

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 Server 2008 unexpected shutdowns

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    crowntech

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that every 2 weeks our server will unexpectedly restart. The event logs show event id 6008 saying “The previous system shutdown at xx:xx:xx on xx/xx/xxxx was unexpected.” The only other event prior to event id 6008 is event id 5 stating “The virtual storage filter driver is disabled through the registry. It is inactive for all disk drives.” It appears event id 5 occurs during system startup and may not have anything to do with the restarts but I thought it might be worth mentioning. I have checked the task scheduler for scheduled reboots and there is nothing enabled that would allow anything like that to occur. I checked Windows update and that hasn’t updated for a few months. This problem began at the end of February and I figured it might have to do with a system update but it began on Feb 23rd and our last update (Windows Powershell & WinRM) was Feb 24th.

I started to think it might be hardware issue so we purchased a redundant power supply and have both PSUs connected to a backup UPS. For the time being, the restarts are not occurring during business hours which makes it difficult to troubleshoot but fortunately does not half our operations. I’m at a complete loss here, if anyone is willing to point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.