Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 Server 2008 R2 Server Role Issues

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell90

Hi everyone, I’ve just recently joined here as it seems a great place for Windows Server based administration help. My name is Greig by the way; you can call me that if you like. :)

So I thought someone here could perhaps help me with a strange problem that I have been experiencing over the last few months with my home domain controller. I have tried a vast number of troubleshooting techniques and research into similar issues, but I have been unable to find a solution.

Let me first give you a run through of my current setup:

I have one machine which is acting as a Domain Controller/Global Catalog and DNS server for my home network. It is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with Service Pack 1 and all patches up until the 5th of May this year.

Server specs are:

-Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 Rev 1.0 Motherboard with latest BIOS
    -Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40 GHz CPU
    -4 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz non-ECC, Unbuffered RAM
    -1x160GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM SATA-300 Hard Disk (OS)
    -1x1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Software/WDS Images
    -1x1TB Western Digital Green 5400RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Storage/Backups)
    -1x1TB Western Digital Green 5400RPM SATAII Hard Disk (Server backups)
    -1xLITEON SATA DVD-ROM Drive
    -Asus Radeon HD 4350 Video Card
    -Onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PC-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    -Antec EarthWatts Green 380W Power Supply

All software and device drivers up to date.

Apart from Active Directory Domain Services and DNS it also utilises a few other server roles which include:

-DHCP (With DHCP port 60 option configured for WDS PXE)
    -File Services
    -Windows Deployment Services

The Active Directory Database and Log files are stored in the default location of C:WindowsNTDS which are backed up daily along with the entire contents of C: including the system state.

The server is set to point to itself (192.168.1.101) for DNS with the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 configured as the alternative address and Forwarders are configured in DNS with OpenDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220)

There is one reverse lookup zone configured, and all zones are Active Directory Integrated. Ageing and Scavenging of stale records is also configured for all zones.

The issue:

After a period of time the server can no longer seem find itself, with DHCP and Windows Deployment Services showing errors in Server Manager. However, the server cannot connect to network drives or resolve internet based addresses which would indicate that there is a problem with DNS somewhere. Active Directory fails to open with the error “Naming information cannot be located for the following reason – The Server is not operational” However, Clients connected to the domain/network can still resolve web addresses and DNS queries as normal including accessing network drives.

Running dcdiag shows that it can find the home server but displays the error “Ldap search capability attribute failed on server *Server Name* return value = 81” Prior this issue dcdiag tests pass with flying colours and no errors are found.

The server has also had its motherboard changed (with different NIC’s) and the OS has also been reinstalled and configured. The issue was still present in both of these cases.

The only way to resolve the issue (that I have found) is to reboot the server, although the issue appears at some point again which is usually less than a month’s uptime.

I have attached copies of the event logs from ADWS, DHCP, WDS and Group Policy.

Thanks very much for taking the time to help, much appreciated. :)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.