GET-IT: TEAMS DAY | 1-Day Free Virtual Conference all about Teams. Here on Petri.com - 8/12/20 GET-IT: TEAMS DAY - 8/12/20

SBS Server behind Dual WAN router

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services DNS SBS Server behind Dual WAN router

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    mcsnoogins

I’m not sure if there is an answer to this but we’ve just come across a cracking wee problem:
    We have an SBS server sitting behind a dual WAN setup running exchange, the main line is notoriously bad for reliability hence the second one there for backup. When the main line goes down the router uses the backup line and all is good in the office. E-mail is collected on the server by Popcon so it doesn’t matter which line is active at any time for e-mail to still work.
    Last night however for the first time the main line went down while every one was out of the office. This meant that no-one could access any e-mail from their phones etc. as they were all setup to use the domain mail.contoso.com which points to the static IP on the main line.
    Leading in to my question, is it possible to setup a subdomain in DNS that tries one IP address and then another if there is no response from the first, as there is with MX records?
    I hope someone can help with this as like any other business we are pretty much dead in the water without e-mail

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.