SBS Exchange – Newbie wanting to learn and ask some questions

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2000 / 2003 SBS Exchange – Newbie wanting to learn and ask some questions

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Hey guys (and gals!),

First of all, let me apologies for this topic. It doesnt make too much sense, because to be honest im not really sure what i want to know. Basically i dont know what Exchange does specifically, so im asking, what does it do and how is it set up?

Anyway, we’ve got a SBS 2003 box sitting here doing very little (file server and one database app). The network is currently not on the internet, and so far the only way we get emails is by having a standalone laptop download all our emails. Obviously this is not the best setup.

So im wondering what you would suggest the best solution to be for us. We’ve got 2 domains (company.co.uk and company.net) and mailboxes setup on each and id like to get exchange running. So, how would i and how does it work?

The emails (stored on the host, which we currently download to the laptop via POP3) would be downloaded to the server right, and then Exchange would dish them out to the clients?

I dont see how it works. Does it act as a mail server (ie does the mail go straight to our server and do we ditch the current hosts?)

Are there any good guides as to what it does / how to set it up? And what, in your opinion, would be the best solution to my situation, or how do most businesses have it set up?

Sorry for that rambling post… basically any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. So dont be put off by my incoherent post!

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.