SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 Migration Domain Question

Home Forums Server Operating Systems SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011 SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 Migration Domain Question

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    trevlyan006

We are currently trying to figure out how to upgrade our SBS 2003 server to SBS 2008. The server runs our internet, is the domain controller, print services, etc. We do NOT run exchange.

The question I have is the following: I would like to do a clean install of SBS 2008, however I am worried about migrating the user profiles because some of the software we use has files embedded in to the user profile folders in random places and it is very difficult if not impossible to find. our current domain is named companyname.local if I name the new domain companyname.local will the machines recognize it is the same domain?

It is important to note that we are not installing a new machine, but simply upgrading the current machine.

We are a small business with a limited budget and just enough IT experience to get us into trouble.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jesse

— After reading through a number of other posts, I realized that anyone looking at this will need some more information.So here goes.–

Our current system is Windows SBS 2003 R2 32 bit.

The main reasons for this change is to utilize all 8GB of RAM we currently have installed, do away with the overly small 30Gb OS partition that SBS2K3 ‘requires’ and dedicate a new hard drive to the OS, and to standardize all of our machines to the SBS2K8/Windows 7 platform.

We do not have the capability to do a swing migration as spare servers are non-existent.

Ideally I would install new hard drives, make them boot disks, load the new OS, set it up as the DC, file share, print server, etc. name the domain the same name, and everything would work just peachy. I could then go through and repartition the old disks, remove the old OS and have a new server which functions better.

After reading some posts, however I feel that it may not be quite that easy.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long first post.

Regards,
    Jesse

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.