Rogue DNS entry

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • m80arm

Hi guys,

After looking into this for two hours I’m giving up and asking for help. I’m clearly missing something so simple. Quick set-up info first. We have two forrests with an external trust:

company.org.uk
    Windows 2003 R2 SP2 (Domain and Forrest levels at 2003 native)
    IP range – 128.1.0.0 /16

company.local
    Windows 2008 R2 (Domain and Forrest levels at 2008 R2)
    10.10.0.0 /16

Forwarders are set on company.org.uk to point to DNS servers in company.local and vice versa.

I created a new VM and accidentally assigned it to the 128.1.0.0 network. It obtained an IP address from DHCP and registed in DNS. I then changed it’s IP into the 10.10.0.0 range and changed it to the correct network within ESX. The server is attached to the company.local domain.

Right, I’ve cleared down any rogue DNS erntries on the company.org.uk DNS servers and deleted the lease from DHCP. I’ve cleared the cache on all DNS servers in company.org.uk. When I ping the hostname from a DNS server on company.org.uk it resolves as hostname.company.org.uk even though there is no DNS entry for it anywhere. if I ping the hostname from a company.local DNS server it resovles fine as hostname.company.local.

The entry is not in the hosts file and is not on any DNS server in the company.org.uk domain. As mentioned, I’ve cleared down the cache and flushed DNS from the resovler cache before pinging.

I’m at the point where it was porbably going to be quicker to rebuilt the server and rename it :)

Thanks

Michael

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.