GET-IT: TEAMS DAY | 1-Day Free Virtual Conference all about Teams. Here on Petri.com - 8/12/20 GET-IT: TEAMS DAY - 8/12/20

Reset Cisco 2960 to Factory Default

Home Forums Networking Cisco Routers & Switches How-to Reset Cisco 2960 to Factory Default

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    biggles77

I have a number of 2960s that I have inherited and there is no documentation on the setup and NO passwords. I need to change setting so I can deploy WDS images which is not presently possible with the present switch configurations. By resetting I can hopefully accomplish this AND create documentation so the next idiot who takes over these sites doesn’t go through the same hell as me.

I have found the following instructions and need to know if these will take the switches back to Factory Defaults and allow me to run an Express Setup feature. I am a Cisco nuffy and know diddly squat about Cisco CLI so I request some confirmation on the validity of the below instructions I found at http://internationalmanofawesome.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/resetting-a-cisco-2960g-switch-back-to-factory-defaults-if-you-dont-know-the-passwords/

Code:
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Quite Basic process to reset a Cisco 2960G POE switch back to factory defaults if you don’t know the passwords of the switch:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]1. [/FONT][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Hook up a console cable to the Console Port and use Putty or other serial client to view the Console session[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]2. [/FONT][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Hold down the Mode button on the front of the switch and power it up[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]3. [/FONT][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]When the SYST light stops blinking, let go of the SYST button[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]4. [/FONT][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]You should see the switch booting up in your console session[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]5. [/FONT][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]When presented with switch: type [B]flash_init[/B] and hit enter[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]6. [/FONT][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Once it finishes loading, you need to delete some files in the flash. List the files by entering [B]dir flash: [/B](don’t forget the[B] :[/B] at the end)[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]7. [/FONT][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Delete the config by entering [B]del flash:config.txt[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]8. [/FONT][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]You may also have VLANS set up on the switch, so you need to delete that info as well, [B]del flash:vlan.dat[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]9. [/FONT][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Now type [B]boot[/B] and hit enter to reboot the switch[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]That’s it. The switch will now go through a factory default boot up, and ask you if you want to configure it further.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Thanks.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.