Reminiscing

Home Forums Other Open Source Reminiscing

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    GordonSweet

Sometimes I would dearly love to return to the days of the early 80s long before the US such as MS dominated PCs with their vastly cumbersome over bloated complicated ways of storing massive GBs of such as Windows data mostly only onto Disk Drives. In spite of no doubt considerable increased speeds of both CPUs and Disk drives, it takes increasing longer and longer for the latest Windows to boot up and close down.

Fore example those of you too young to ever have heard of it let alone use it, there was a UK PC called the BBC Micro at explained at http://www.sigord.co.uk/BBC/BBCBASIC.htm which I would have thought used a far more sensible way of storing the OS on ICs. So that believe it or not it took only a second or two to boot up or close down. In fact just like any monitor today that took longer to start than the PC. Many of you will ridicule the idea of even comparing such a computer with today’s monsters, doubting any PC could store such as today’s Windows massive GBs of data on ICs. But I ask has anyone ever tried it or are we forever to be a slave to the likes of MS and their Windows?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.