I did search and didn’t find any useful information. Sorry if this is a repost.
I ran into the familiar “[email protected]” messages in the SMTP queues last week, followed the steps recommended by Microsoft, and configured the tarpit feature. Everything is working great except that I still see a domain stuck in the “retry” state with messages from “[email protected]”. I have deleted the messages, but they appear again with a few hours.
We are running Exchange 2003, I have the blacklist feature enabled on our firewall, and I am almost positive I followed the Microsoft instructions correctly. (filter recipients who aren’t in the directory)