Problems with deployed printers on Windows 8 clients

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services GPO Problems with deployed printers on Windows 8 clients

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    jason0923

We have printers deployed to our buildings via Group Policy. We’re having intermittent problems with the printers getting mapped for the users. We have a mixed Windows 7 and 8.1 environment. From what I can tell the Windows 7 almost always work. However for the Windows 8.1 ones its intermittent. The error in the Application log for the machines that do not get the printers is this:
    The user ‘Hard-IMC-1nb-test’ preference item in the ‘Student Mandatory {0FA26CC5-C001-4A02-AACE-930581B7A1CF}’ Group Policy Object did not apply because it failed with error code ‘0x80070057 The parameter is incorrect.’ This error was suppressed.
    Hard-IMC etc is the printer share name. Student Mandatory is the name of the policy.
    The strange thing is some students login and get all printers, some it gets this. I tried adding another printer share to the same printers with say a PCL5 driver vs a PCL 6. And it’ll work fine for a few days then that one falls into the mix of not getting mapped. This is happening in all of our buildings each has its own local 2008 R2 print server. If I create a test account and login to the same PC as a student that doesn’t get the printers it works fine for about 9-10 logins and then it starts happening to the test account. Its like the problem takes a few logins to occur. I’ve looked at some of our printers and they use the same manufacturer driver for both Win 7 and 8.1 so its not a driver issue especially since a lot of the times they do map.
    The only thing I’ve been able to find out is that on Win7 its not happening. Nothing else makes sense. There is no pattern to time of day or account. The machines all have the same image and updates etc. Can anyone give me a direction to look at. We have too many PC’s to do printers individually.
    Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.