PPTP tunnels insite site-to-site VPN

Home Forums Networking General Networking PPTP tunnels insite site-to-site VPN

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    RobW

My customer has a site-to-site L2TP VPN established with FortiGate network appliances. One network has Small Business Server 2003 and the other end is a workgroup.

A new executive with basic computer knowledge realized if he made a PPTP VPN connection to the SBS 2003 server, his connection was faster when browsing files and folders on the server. Consequently, five other people made PPTP VPN connections for a total of 6 which is what RRAS is configured for.

The network is slow. I set up a new notebook and configured Outlook 2010 with RPC over HTTPS (remote user sometimes). Outlook will connect to the Exchange server if you make a PPTP connection. If you do not make a PPTP connection, you get prompted for your username / password but eventually get the message that Outlook is disconnected.

I can open up a command prompt and ping the server so I know the site-to-site VPN is working. I am trying to suggest to my customer that his site-to-site VPN tunnel is saturated with all all these independent PPTP tunnels and that this is where his problem is. Any opinions on this?

Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.