Parsing things in "Get-AdUser" filter

Home Forums Scripting PowerShell Parsing things in "Get-AdUser" filter

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Hi all – long time!

I am running a script which takes a person’s first and last name from an SAP extract, and reads AD to get their UPN. For most people, this works; however there are a bunch of users whose first name is an issue. For instance “Philip Davies” (names changed to protect the innocent) in SAP is “Phil Davies” in AD. So: I have used the following command and it works:

Code:
    Get-ADUser -SearchBase “OU=CBC Users,DC=cbc,DC=int” -Filter {GivenName -eq “Phil” -and Surname -eq “Davies”}

I then realised I can check for the first three characters which will NORMALLY be the same in the contracted name… so I did this which also works:

Code:
    Get-ADUser -SearchBase “OU=CBC Users,DC=cbc,DC=int” -Filter {GivenName -like “Phi*” -and Surname -eq “Davies”}

Next step: variables; so I try this and it works:

Code:
    $fna=”Phil”
    Get-ADUser -SearchBase “OU=CBC Users,DC=cbc,DC=int” -Filter {GivenName -eq $fna -and Surname -eq “Davies”}

But if I try this:

Code:
    $fna=”Philip”
    $fna=$fna.Substring(0,3)
    Get-ADUser -SearchBase “OU=CBC Users,DC=cbc,DC=int” -Filter {GivenName -like $fna* -and Surname -eq “Davies”}

I get no result. It doesn’t matter if I use brackets, double-quotes, single-quotes, anything. As soon as I try to parse a variable AND use a wildcard, it either produces an error message or no result.

Can anyone please help me with this either by using the “-ldapfilter” method or telling me how to parse AND wildcard?

Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.