New to SBS 2003, trying to figure out exchange.

Home Forums Server Operating Systems SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011 New to SBS 2003, trying to figure out exchange.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    zee

Hello everyone, after spending about 20 hours reading on how i need to configure SBS i believe i am lost!.

I have decided i ask the help of the professionals who know what they are doing before i do something to the SBS that is not reversable and will mess it up forever.

For the past 8 years i have always paid for virtual hosting, however i now manage 15 domains, so i decided to get my own server, i bought my server, hooked it up to my home network installed sql 05 and sent the server to the dataware house (colocation). One problem i noticed once i connected to it, was that a lot of settings were taken from my home network, like the router, dns and so on, also it created “domain.local” something to do with AD i guess. anyway, i have changed 2 domains MX and A settings to point to the server, and IIS shows me the websites, i am now trying to configure the exchange part, i want to host my own email.

Anyway, lets start of with my first question, using the internet + email wizard… what the hell is the DNS it asks for? I know that its not the same DNS specified in my TCPIC settings (which is the same ip as the servers), is that something i need to get from the colocation isp? also it asks for the routers IP, im guessing that is just the gateway. if i dont specify the dns it tells me that i will need to configure “root” something something….

I have more questions, but lets start with that i believe once i understand what the DNS’s role is, i might be able to answer my own questions.

Any help will be appreciated.

BTW i found this link
    http://seanda.blogspot.com/2004/10/hosting-multiple-domains-on-sbs-2003_22.html

to be a bit helpfull with the “next” steps….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.