Network Design Question for Home Office

Home Forums Networking General Networking Network Design Question for Home Office

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    kxcntry99

Hello everyone,

I need a little help with network design. I have my home office which services only myself, no other employees. I have a server that acts as my DC and DHCP server along with all my work computers that are on my home domain.

In the next few days I will be setting up a webserver to run from my home office. I know that best security practice would be to setup a separate dedicated broadband account and a separate dedicated network for the webserver. However, this is not possible for a few reasons.

My question is this, what would be the best network design to keep my future webserver as distant from the inside server? Would the design below work best?

Modem >> Router >> Webserver >> Firewall >> Local Server and workstations

If the webserver plugs into the router with the firewall also plugged into the router would all computers behind the firewall be safe? Or if I setup a DMZ correctly could everything plug directly into the router?

I have never had any formal training on network design so if someone could point me in the correct direction I would appreciate it. I am generally a pretty quick learner so if there are some books or websites I could look at too that would be very helpful.

Thanks everyone,
    :beer:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.