mysterious reactivation request in Windows 2003 R2 and a fully remote reactivation

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 mysterious reactivation request in Windows 2003 R2 and a fully remote reactivation

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    shahar

Dear forum!

I run multiple vm of Windows 2003 R2, which are copies of the same original vm. To each VM I give a different mac address (and use dhcp). The original VM was installed on identical virtual hardware, and it is activated.

On some instances I get the message:

“Since Windows was first activated on this computer, the hardware on the computer has changed significantly. Due to these changes, Windows must be reactivated within 3 days. Do you want to reactivate Windows now?”

All virtual machines hardware are identical but the mac address that I change. I fail to understand why this message appears.
    I tried to boot similar copies with different mac addresses but I don’t see a pattern. Sometimes it appears and sometime it doesn’t.

Can you explain this behaviour?

As I am more a Linux guy, I try to control the win machines via ssh.
    I looked for a way to make this reactivation with command line only and failed.
    The sysprep that looked promising resulted with the same message.

Is there a way to reactivate windows 2003 R2 in an automated way using command line only (I don’t even see the GUI)?

Thanks for any info,
    Shahar

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.