GET-IT: TEAMS DAY | 1-Day Free Virtual Conference all about Teams. Here on Petri.com - 8/12/20 GET-IT: TEAMS DAY - 8/12/20

MSI installation: almost, but not quite

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 7 MSI installation: almost, but not quite

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Bertmax

Not sure where this topic should be, but since I’m installing it on a Windows 7 machine, this is as good a place as any.

I’m attempting to launch a MSI via the command line: msiexec /i blahblah.msi. Fairly straight-forward installation. However, it seems to go through the motions, including putting the files in whatever directory I specify (INSTALLDIR=). One of the last steps it takes is to open up a box that says “Connecting to server…”, at which point it should put an icon in the system tray. Well, it doesn’t do that, and when that pop-up goes away, the files are then removed from the directory that was created during installation followed by the directory itself. After that, everything is gone, Windows reports that the installation was successful in the event logs (see below) and the msiexec.exe process is still running.

Event ID: 11707 – Product:….– Installation completed successfully.

Event ID: 1033 – Windows Installer installed the product…..Installation success or error status: 0.

Now, I bet your inclined to believe there is a problem with the MSI itself. I was too, but about 1 out of 5 attempts it succeeds. Windows Firewall is off, UAC is nil and there’s no AV running (it’s a snapshotted VM). Any ideas?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.