MMC can’t find doman after reset of Windows 2000 Administrator password

Home Forums Security Forgot Administrator Password MMC can’t find doman after reset of Windows 2000 Administrator password

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • kelk

I have tried to reset my Windows 2000 server administrator password using the procedure described here: http://petri.com/reset_domain_admin_password_in_windows_2000_ad.htm
    1)I first cleared the local machine adm password with “Offline NT Password & Registry Editor.
    2) Next I used F8 to enter the boot menu to start Windows in “Directory Service Recovery Mode”. However I did not have this entry, so I choose “Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows 2000 domain controllers only) instead, is this correct?.
    3) Hereafter I was able to log on to Windows without password and to change the screensaver to cmd.exe
    4) When I run MMC DSA.MSC in the cmd box I get this errror: “Naming information can not be located because the specified domain does not exist or could not be located….”
    When I click ok to this message, the Management Console opens with Active Directory Users and Computers, but with a red cross in the left window and the right window where the users should appear is empty.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Don't leave your business open to attack! Come learn how to protect your AD in this FREE masterclass!REGISTER NOW - Thursday, December 2, 2021 @ 1 pm ET

Active Directory (AD) is leveraged by over 90% of enterprises worldwide as the authentication and authorization hub of their IT infrastructure—but its inherent complexity leaves it prone to misconfigurations that can allow attackers to slip into your network and wreak havoc. 

Join this session with Microsoft MVP and MCT Sander Berkouwer, who will explore:

• Whether you should upgrade your domain controllers to Windows Server
    2019 and beyond
  • Achieving mission impossible: updating DCs within 48 hours
  • How to disable legacy protocols and outdated compatibility options in
    Active Directory

Sponsored by: