Our company user accounts used to point to \fileserver1homedrives$ but after testing fine I changed all users to \fileserver1.companyname.comhomedrives$
(I did this for better DNS resolution across domains).
Now I have a few users who are complaining that there data has been deleted. Sure enough it is. So far I have had two users that I have had to restore twice!
I’m thinking the above modification has something to do with it but I can’t think how. I haven’t changed anything else I can think of.
I made the change today but some users have seen the data this morning but it been missing this afternoon!
I realise ADU&C will check/modify permissions (which should be accurate anyway) but I can’t see how/why it would delete it. Even if it did, I would think it would do it when I click ‘Apply’ not a day later.