MIgrating VM between hosts

Home Forums Virtualization VMware Virtualization MIgrating VM between hosts

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • todd231
    Participant

I have a bit of a problem, I’m migrating a mailbox server between hosts because one of my hosts has problems.

I started the migration last night around 6:13pm and it quickly reached 65%. It’s been stuck at 65% since around 6:30pm or 6:45pm.

Yes, I did a live migration while the server was still on. The server has 3TB of actual used space it’s moving so I can’t rule out that it’s just moving that massive load and it’s taking time.

Yes, I know I should have shut the server down and then restarted it and placed it on one of my other hosts.

My question is this; right now, can I power that server down without fear of breaking anything?

If I can power it down, I can start it on another host and then continue my work in getting the problematic host restarted.

I f**ked up, I know it, but I need to figure out what to do at this point.

Also, this is in VMWare ESXi 5.1. It’s not supported these days so we’re far behind. I am getting quotes for re-upping our license and getting with Support on this but that could take until Monday and I need my mailbox server that is migrating back up relativley quick. We’re going on 24 + hours it’s been down.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Don't leave your business open to attack! Come learn how to protect your AD in this FREE masterclass!REGISTER NOW - Thursday, December 2, 2021 @ 1 pm ET

Active Directory (AD) is leveraged by over 90% of enterprises worldwide as the authentication and authorization hub of their IT infrastructure—but its inherent complexity leaves it prone to misconfigurations that can allow attackers to slip into your network and wreak havoc. 

Join this session with Microsoft MVP and MCT Sander Berkouwer, who will explore:

• Whether you should upgrade your domain controllers to Windows Server
    2019 and beyond
  • Achieving mission impossible: updating DCs within 48 hours
  • How to disable legacy protocols and outdated compatibility options in
    Active Directory

Sponsored by: