GET-IT: TEAMS DAY | 1-Day Free Virtual Conference all about Teams. Here on Petri.com - 8/12/20 GET-IT: TEAMS DAY - 8/12/20

Migrating DHCP server from old to new servers?

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services DHCP Migrating DHCP server from old to new servers?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JDMils

I had two AD servers in one of our sites as followes:

* AD-2, Win2K3, IP:192.168.37.7, DNS
    * AD-FL, Win2K3, IP:192.168.37.6, DNS, DHCP

DHCP consists of 7 subnets for various departments and equipment. DHCP was working OK.

I decommissioned AD-2, DCPROMO it out of the domain, rebuilt it to Win2K8, giving it the name AD-1 with the same IP, DCPROMO it back into the domain and added the deactivated DHCP scopes.

DNS was changed on all IP statically assigned servers including AD-1 & AD-FL. The new DHCP scopes on AD-1 had the DNS options for 192.168.37.7 (AD-1) & 192.168.37.6 (AD-FL).

I then de-activated the DHCP server on AD-2 and activated it on AD-1. But for some reason, none of the workstations were able to get an IP other than 169.254.xxx.xxx.

The only thing I could find was that the users who reported that they could not access the network were on subnet N39, on which when I looked at the DHCP options for that subnet, on the AD-1 server, did not have a defined Router option. Would this have been the reason why they did not get an IP?

I’m thinking that when the DHCP server send the DHCP client a DHCPAck, it not only allows the DHCP client to use the IP offered by the DHCP server, but the DHCP options are also sent in this message. Without a gateway/router defined option, does the DHCP client lose the IP sent and gives itself a 169.254 address instead?

From the AD-1 System event log, I see the following:

Quote:
    Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-DHCP-Server
    Date: 8/11/2013 8:14:07 PM
    Event ID: 1056
    Task Category: None
    Level: Warning
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: AD-1.MyDomain.com
    Description:
    The DHCP service has detected that it is running on a DC and has no credentials configured for use with Dynamic DNS registrations initiated by the DHCP service. This is not a recommended security configuration. Credentials for Dynamic DNS registrations may be configured using the command line “netsh dhcp server set dnscredentials” or via the DHCP Administrative tool.
    Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

System
    AD-1.MyDomain.com

The operation completed successfully.

I’ve never had to setup credentials before so I’m not sure why this is here, but I will have to investigate further.

Quote:
    Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-DHCP-Server
    Date: 8/11/2013 8:14:11 PM
    Event ID: 1044
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: AD-1.MyDomain.com
    Description:
    The DHCP/BINL service on the local machine, belonging to the Windows Administrative domain brightstarcorp.com, has determined that it is authorized to start. It is servicing clients now.
    Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

System
    AD-1.MyDomain.com

MyDomain.com

Any ideas what the possible cause could be?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.