Microsoft datacentre licensing and VMware

Home Forums Virtualization VMware Virtualization Microsoft datacentre licensing and VMware

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ranjb
    Participant

Hi

Got a question with regards to Microsoft Licensing and VMware ESX hosts.

We have a Microsoft schools agreement and a lot of our windows servers are running standard edition. One is running enterprise. All on physical servers.

We are virtualising some of our Windows Servers and schools agreement pricing is very favourable if we buy a datacentre license. Its about £70 and it means we can run an unlimited number of Microsoft server VM’s in VMware. compared to enterprise which is only £5 cheaper but only allows you to run a maximum of 4 guests.

Question, I understand that a Windows license for Data centre would be per processor, so if I have 2 physical processorsin each esx host I need to get 2 X datacentre license per ESX host, Is that correct?

If I purchased 6 data centre licenses (3 ESX hosts with 2 physical processors in each), what version of Windows server can be used, I understand its only standard or enterprise, can someone confirm this? Does this cover Windows XP also?

Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.