Mapping network printer using user’s credentials

Home Forums Scripting General Scripting Mapping network printer using user’s credentials

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    igor7

Hi, everyone!!
    I’m looking for solution which allows users connect to the network printer using their AD credentials. Here is my situation. We have AD domain member Print Sever, where all site printers are installed. We also have ~100 client computers in the same network. When users are logged into computers with their AD credentials they can easily connect to the network printers using Add Printer Wizard or from the Run menu ([URL=”file://servername/PrinterName”]\ServerNamePrinterName[/URL]). However sometime AD members computer need to run some vendor software which require to run under local administrative account. And time to time our users need to print some documents from computer which running this particular vendor software. So here is the problem. Local admin account can’t connect to printers shared in AD. Window provides ability connect to network drives using different user credential, however there is no such as option when you connect to the network printer… Network printer always mapping for currently logged in user… And in my case printer will be mapped with “Access Deny” status. Of course it is possible connect to the printer from the RUN menu (([URL=”file://servername/PrinterName”]\ServerNamePrinterName[/URL]). In this case username/password prompt will popup and user can connect to the printer after typing his username and password. But I’m looking for some more intelligent way for printer connection…
    I have some “*.hta” script with show username/password prompt and allow users connect to Network drives using their credentials:

Network Drive Connection

Your Username

Company Password

[/CODE]

This script working pretty good for me and I’ve tried to create something similar for mapping network printers:

[CODE]

Mapping Network Printer

Your Username

Company Password

[/CODE]

[COLOR=#555a5f][FONT=Verdana]I’ve just replaced MapNetworkDrive value with AddWindowsPrinterConnection but it not works… I’ve tried also different methods objNetwork and WshNetwork but no success… Any help will be much appreciated![/FONT][/COLOR][CODE]

Network Drive Connection

ApplicationName=”Map_ND.HTA”
    SingleInstance=”Yes”
    WindowsState=”Normal”
    Scroll=”No”
    Navigable=”Yes”
    MaximizeButton=”No”
    SysMenu=”Yes”
    Caption=”Yes”
    >

Your Username

Company Password

[/CODE]

This script working pretty good for me and I’ve tried to create something similar for mapping network printers:

Mapping Network Printer

Your Username

Company Password

[/CODE]

[COLOR=#555a5f][FONT=Verdana]I’ve just replaced MapNetworkDrive value with AddWindowsPrinterConnection but it not works… I’ve tried also different methods objNetwork and WshNetwork but no success… Any help will be much appreciated![/FONT][/COLOR][CODE]

Mapping Network Printer

ApplicationName=”Connect to Network Printer.HTA”
    SingleInstance=”Yes”
    WindowsState=”Normal”
    Scroll=”No”
    Navigable=”Yes”
    MaximizeButton=”No”
    SysMenu=”Yes”
    Caption=”Yes”
    >

Your Username

Company Password

[/CODE]

I’ve just replaced MapNetworkDrive value with AddWindowsPrinterConnection but it not works… I’ve tried also different methods objNetwork and WshNetwork but no success… Any help will be much appreciated!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.