GET-IT: TEAMS DAY | 1-Day Free Virtual Conference all about Teams. Here on Petri.com - 8/12/20 GET-IT: TEAMS DAY - 8/12/20

Mail Relay document on this site is INCORRECT?

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2000 / 2003 Mail Relay document on this site is INCORRECT?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Shinedog

First off, I love Daniel’s site and have always relied on any info I found on it, any link found via a Google term search would be the first one I would click on.

However, today I have found what I can only believe to be incorrect information in this document:

http://petri.com/preventing_exchange_2000_2003_from_relaying.htm

Step 5 states:

Click to select either the Basic Authentication check box, or the Windows security package check box, or both of these check boxes, and then click to clear the Anonymous access check box. When you select the Basic Authentication check box, you need to provide a default user domain. Click OK.

Why on earth would you deselect Anonymous here? This setting has nothing to do with a server being configured as an open relay and causes greater problems to which the document even states below the Consequences section at the end:

You must understand what will happen if you choose to clear the “Anonymous access” check box in the Authentication window of the SMTP Virtual Server. Although this will indeed successfully stop your server from being a relay, on the other hand it will cause your server to stop receiving incoming mail from the Internet. This is because all the servers (it doesn’t matter if they are E2K, Send Mail or any other mail servers) that will ever need to open an SMTP connection to your server will be required to authenticate, and it will be impossible for them to do so because they are not configured to use a specific username and password. You can’t expect every mail server that will need to “talk” to your server to to “know” what username and passwords you’ve got configured in your domain, so basically no one will ever be able to send mail to your domain.

If you uncheck Anonymous, you won’t receive any e-mail but yet your document is falsely indicating this is required to prevent mail relay. Catch 22 much? Am I missing something here? I just finished cleaning up after one of our technicians who used this document to configure an Exchange server and left the Exchange server unable to receive e-mail.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.