linux server doesnt respond to pings kinda…

Home Forums Other Open Source linux server doesnt respond to pings kinda…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    James Haynes

this is a new one to me…

im not a linux guru by any means, so maybe im missing something basic.

i have a linux server (RHEL 4) that runs a child support application. its a terminal emulation program… the users connect with a telnet connection to access an informix dB.

this application works fine from my desktop. it works fine on client stations on the 1st floor, which is on VLANs 1,2 and 3. they are the 192.168.1-5.XXX addresses…

the fourth floor is on a separate VLAN. the clients up there have special printers, and to segment these printers, there is a separate VLAN. its the ’40’ VLAN… so clients get an address like 192.168.40.200…

when i try to connect to the application via a telnet, nothing happens. i can “C:> nslookup lincse” and get back the correct IP (192.168.5.170) when i try to ping lincse.mydomain.com i get “no response”…

BUT
    if i go to the linux server ad ping the client station “root# ping 192.168.40.200” i get all responses back and magically the client can now ping lincse and the terminal program can connect. after a while (maybe 5 minutes give or take) it will no longer connect to the server…

does this make any sense? i have the firewall disabled on the linux box… i have DNS entries for it (i thought this might be the problem, but it resolves correctly, and an entry in the host file makes no difference) the windows firewall is disabled on the clients…

why are the clients able to connect after i ping them from the server? any clues why? the lod box is a UNIX box, but the clients are able to connect to it without a problem. it as the same application and it works…

thanks guys,
    James

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.