Linux host and guest: Guest uses physical display and boots up automatically ?

Home Forums Virtualization VMware Virtualization Linux host and guest: Guest uses physical display and boots up automatically ?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    nothsa

Hi,

I’m familiar with all the VMware products, but I am not sure if this possible, and if it is, which product I should use. I’m wanting to set up a linux Media Player guest that will immediately start playing images/videos on the connected screen when it boots up. I have this working on a linux box (CentOS 4.4, no virtualization) and I’m wanting to make that into a VMware guest system so that I can have this same Media Player system running on different host hardware and OS configurations.

As my first test, I’m wanting to set up a linux host (probably CentOS 4.5 / 5 or Fedora) with the linux Media Player guest. The host will just be there to facilitate the running of a shell server (SSHd) and VMWare to run the guest.

My problem is that I don’t know how to get VMware (Server, Workstation, Player, whatever) to boot the guest OS automatically, and send the guest’s output (bootup, showing the images/videos, etc.) to the physical screen. I’m assuming this would need to be done through the host’s X11/Xorg, but I have no idea how I would go about doing this. If anyone can help me out, or point me in the direction of some reading materials, it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.