Is Windows 2000 for everyday use still doable?

Home Forums Client Operating Systems Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro Is Windows 2000 for everyday use still doable?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jawline

Hello everyone,,
    I have a tower with a 1.13GHz Pentium III, 1GB RAM, a 40GB hard drive, DVD-ROM & 3.5″ floppy drive. I booted it up with no issues to the original install of Windows 2000 Pro. Is it still possible to use this as a daily machine if I needed to, and if so, where could I find software for it?

ScottQ
    ScottQ
    Participant

Doable depends on what software you want to use. Look for software on https://www.oldapps.com

You really need to be a tech user with a lot of IT knowledge to troubleshoot lots of problems yourself as older versions of software will not have any official support (maybe community but it is still a challenge). Microsoft are covertly pruning valuable downloads and knowledge based articles so I find it harder to fix old known OS problems only because they deleted the solution.

If your not needing to get to any Internet websites any old software that runs to do local tasks could be used eg game, old word processing, local printing on an older supported printer that would work if you have the software. The most useful feature is having a browser that works reasonably well even though you should not do this, for me, I do not see a problem because I am ONLY looking at SAFE sites like wikipedia, product support site etc. Mircosoft’s browsers / Google Chrome / Mozilla Firefox no longer support Win2K in latest versions, so your going to be using an old release. A lot of websites are not going to allow older https connections, and this will be an increasing problem with older browsers as web sites drop TLS 1.0 support. I find this problem increasing for XP SP3 – I barely get by with Chrome 49.0.2623.112 + Firefox 52.9 (I find it crashes more than any version I have previously used).

Side Notes:
    In theory WIN10 could run on Pentium 4’s “J” processors, circa 2004, but Pentium 3 (circa 2003) or earlier are not NX capable cpu core, so no choice for a supported Windows OS.

I was pleasantly surprised to get Zoom meetings running on a Vista system – I currently have Vista and XP systems. XP systems and WIN2K are share the above issues I mentioned. Just bought my first win10 licence as it is on special this month because a lot of stuff I want to try is win10 only. Win2K and XP shared a lot of features and issues of course :-)

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by ScottQScottQ.
    ScottQ
    ScottQ
    Participant

@Jawline – since writing my reply I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot6CyCwdomk – I did not know you could still get to the win update service, and it looked a bit easier to do than I thought.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.