Imaging Vista

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Bertmax

OK, this is related to my multiboot project, but concerns Vista specifically. For those not familiar with this, I have been tasked with creating a PC that can boot from Windows OSs from XP Home on up. This is what I had on my machine so far:

XP Home
    XP Pro x86
    XP Pro x64
    Server 2003 Standard x86
    Server 2003 Standard x64
    Server 2003 R2 x86
    Server 2003 R2 x64
    Vista Ultimate x86
    Vista Ultimate x64

Now, I threw that last one on there just for the heck of it. The point is to load up all the pre-Vista images, then Vista, then see if it can be imaged. The reason for doing this is because Microsoft changed the boot manager in Vista. However, that part is irrelevant.

I have discovered that Vista does not like to be sysprepped if it is not on the C: drive. Well, this is fine for one installation of Vista, because even with all the other Windows versions on there, when you install Vista, it becomes the C: drive and moves everything else down one. However, throw another Vista on there and they can’t both be the C: drive. I haven’t even gotten to Windows 7, 8 and their server equivalents; I imagine they behave the same way.

Does anyone have any tricks for getting Vista (and subsequent Windows’ installations) sysprepped and imaged on a machine with multiple partitions? I only have 8 of these to do and I’m wondering if it wouldn’t just be faster to load them individually at this point.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.