how to run Server 2008 R2 as a DC in Windows 2003 domain

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 how to run Server 2008 R2 as a DC in Windows 2003 domain

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    albertwt

Hi All,

I’m about to do the Domain Controller + DHCP and DNS role transfer from Windows Server 2003 Std. R2 SP2 into Windows Server 2008 Std. R2 SP 1, is there anything that i should be careful about ?

Here’s the current AD Domain details:

Domain Functional Level: Windows 2000 Native (since there is Samba Server)

• ServerA: DC + 1st DNS + DHCP (this will be decommissioned) – Windows Server 2003 x86 R2 SP2
    • ServerB: DC + 2nd DNS + All FSMO Role + Exchange Server 2007 SP1 – Windows Server 2003 x64 R2 SP2

I’m afraid if there is any incompatibilities in running Windows Server 2008 R2 with Server 2003 then I could not restore the Server A from backup image (Acronis True Image backup).

I shall performs the following commands on my Server B during the weekend since

Quote:
    1. supportadprep>adprep32.exe /forestprep
    2. supportadprep>adprep32.exe /domainprep
    3. supportadprep>adprep32.exe /gpprep

it is too risky to run it during the working days since the schema modification sounds like a serious issue. Hopefully Exchange Server 2007 SP1 which is in Server B can still performs email transaction after the schema modifications.

up to this stage I’ve successfully install Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5 on Server B in case something goes crazy, i can just restore the whole OS from the image.

Cheers,

Albert

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.