newtopcMemberJun 25, 2011 at 4:20 am #155217
OS: Windows XP SP3
1) I restored the computer system as I had lost everything stored in the old user profile.
2) A NEW USER PROFILE: ‘mlinda” is created with the correct domain attached to it (eg. CAA MAU) and is fully restored.
3) The OLD USER PROFILE “m.linda” remains in the documents and settings BUT
– the domain is of a local computer (eg. SPARXX) and it no longer works with the (eg. CAA MAU) domain
4) The original “m.linda” user profile contains almost nothing in it (no documents etc)
5) m.linda is still listed in the userlist in computer management BUT NOT THE NEW mlinda
6) In administrator mode, I dont’t see ALL the contents of the newly restored profile
How do I change user profile “mlinda” (that has successfully retored everthing) back to “m.linda” since the new profile has everything intact:
1) How do I safely delete the newly restored “mlinda” and ensure everything is back to normal with the OLD USER PROFILE: m.linda?
2) How to ensure that the correct domain name is attached to the profile, by transferring all the data from THE NEW mlinda (eg. domain: CAA MAU) to THE OLD m.linda (that currently has a local computer domain: SPARXX). User profile, m.linda has to be attched to domain: CAA MAU.
3) Should I be backing up before eventhough the new mlinda is in super condition?
4) I read in forums that the links to desktop can be lost by transfering. How do I retain it?
5) Do I have to change anything in the registry value?
6) Should I do it with Administrator account in normal mode or safe mode?
7) When I log in as mlinda (new), I still see ‘m.linda’ (local computer domain) in the user list but not mlinda (the new). But when I right click properties of c:documents and setting mlinda, under security, I see that mlinda is listed with the correct domain name. My biggeest fear is not to lose the domain/ ouutlook etc while changing mlinda to m.linda.
B) Rather than going through a process of copying mlinda to m.linda,
1) Is it possible just delete THE OLD USER PROFILE (m.linda) and rename the THE NEW USER PROFILE mlinda (since this is fully restored?) to m.linda?
2) If yes what are the best steps? And how can I make the adjustments to user list since when wondows starts, there is only THE NEW PROFILE mlinda popping up. I need it back to m.linda.
3) I read in a forum that I can go to registry (HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVer Profilelist) and change but I don’t want to mess with it.
In my case in the registry i) should I delete m.linda first and rename mlinda to m.linda?
This is rather urgent and need to fix today. All your help are truly appreciated.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.