My company is using exchange server 2003 standard edition in a windows 2k3 AD domain. Recently I used the Recipient Policy to delete mails older than 180 days. The result is very positive. From ESM, I can tell all the mailboxes are much smaller than before, and on the client side in Outlook 2003 all the mails older than 180 days are gone.
Now the total size of all the mailboxes is only a few hundred megabytes. So I decided to shrink the current priv1.edb (36GB) with ‘eseutil /d priv1.edb’.
the defrag went well without any errors. but to my surprise, the final priv1.edb is not shrunk much. it is still around 34GB.