Global Printers

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    leoh

Hi everyone.
    I work at a faculty where we have 2 labs, each with about 20 Windows XP computers and 2 network printers.
    There are about 600 users.
    We also have a Windows Server 2003 that acts as the print server, domain controller, etc.
    2 printers were already installed when I started working.
    As far as I know, those printers were installed using a weird windows 2000 method involving the registry and moving/copying NTUSER and NTUSER.DAT. In case you need, I have the instructions on a PDF, but I tryied to use them and they don’t seem to be for XP but rather for 2000.

I need to uninstall those 2 printers (or change their names).
    I was not able to uninstall them. I tryied deleting every key in the registry with the printer’s names but that didn’t work.
    Any idea how to do that?

The Windows Server question is… I need to add the other 2 printers. Is there any way to do that from the group policy?
    I need one printer to be the default printer in one lab, and a different printer to be the default on the other lab.

I found information on how to add a global printer with the RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry command, but the /y switch doesn’t work with global printers.
    The info about that is here.
    I added the remaining 2 printers with that method, but they aren’t the default printers.
    I cannot set the default printer for each user since they are 600 users on about 45 computers, and they use any unused computer.

Any ideas?
    Thank you very much.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.