Failed SBS 2008 server in the middle of migration

Home Forums Server Operating Systems SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011 Failed SBS 2008 server in the middle of migration

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JeremyW

Hi all, it’s been awhile since I’ve been on. I’ve run into a situation that I wanted to run by you guys and get your thoughts. This might be more of an Exchange 2007 question but here’s the rundown:

(feel free to skip this back story)
    I had an SBS 2008 server that was having driver issues. Server won’t boot. Talk to Microsoft and Dell and they determine that the only way to get the server back is to do a full recover. Fine. Did the full recover and the server runs fine for a month. Then I get the same driver error again and again MS says we need to do a full restore. Did the full restore and things are running again.

But at this point I’m pretty sure I’m restoring the issue. So I decide to do an SBS 2008 to 2008 migration and all goes smoothly…. until…

I have gone the the entire migration process except for uninstalling Exchange and demoting the old server. I shutdown the old server to see how things run with it off. Things seem to run fine for the day so I boot up the old server and I get the same driver error. At this point I can’t do a restore of the server because my last backup of it is in a pre-migration state.

So here’s what I wanted to run by everyone. Since I was at the very last step in the migration and have the new SBS 2008 server running everything and I have the old SBS 2008 server in a failed state with Exchange still on it and it’s still a DC, my plan to resolve the issue is to:

1. Forcefully remove the old server from the domain and do the metadata cleanup
    2. Reformat the old server and give it the exact same name as it had before
    3. Install Exchange in recovery mode
    4. Uninstall Exchange from the old server

Is there anything wrong with my plan? Anything I’m not thinking of in the SBS environment?

Thanks!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.