Failed migration from 2003 Standard to SBS2008

Home Forums Server Operating Systems SBS 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / 2011 Failed migration from 2003 Standard to SBS2008

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    PaulWL

I worked on a 2003 Standard to SBS 2008 migration over the weekend. We could not get it to work. I’m hoping for a little help from the community. These are the steps I took.
    Pre-migration
    2003Std running DC, DHCP, File and print
    I then added a temporary DC, since documentation seemed to say that a time bomb would be placed on the existing server, forcing it to be shutdown in 21 days.
    Step 1
    Add temporary DC
    TempDC running DC and DNS, then took DHCP and FSMO. Network->
    TempDC 2003Std
    DC DC
    DNS DNS
    DHCP
    FSMO
    I then went through the migration process. I missed a couple things the first time (manually performing adprep). I then ran it a couple more times, running into issues but always getting further. It would join the domain and dcpromo itself, but then fail.
    I found this article which helped me (http://blog.mpecsinc.ca/2009/06/sbs-2003-to-2008-migration-stall-event.html). Then I got stuck part way through the ‘Connecting your server’ screen. It kept popping up and telling me that AD was taking longer to replicate than expected. I shutdown 2003Std and the installation finished. I guess it was trying to talk to both DCs. Unfortunately, the installation finished with some “issues”. The issues were:
    ExtSchemaTask:
    ExtendLicensingAD: The schema is not extended for the Licensing service.
    InstallExchangeTask: Exchange Server 2007 cannot be installed.
    CreatePolicyForRAS: The Group Policy setting for the virtual private network cannot be created.
    ConfigureSharePointTask: Windows SharePoint Services is not configured.
    ConfigureOUTask: Organizational units in Active Directory Domain Services cannot be configured.
    Obviously I can not use this server. No Exchange – no worky. Is it possible to kick off the installation from here? The server is a DC and functioning in the domain. It never did grab the FSMO roles, but it did steal DHCP. Can I just, somehow, start the Exchange and Sharepoint installation?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.