Exchange Server 2003 and Sending External Mail Issues

Home Forums Messaging Software Exchange 2000 / 2003 Exchange Server 2003 and Sending External Mail Issues

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JazzBass

Hi all,

This is my first post here, but have loved this website for a few years.

We recently changed hosting providers (web & email) and we started having issues sending mail to recipients outside of our office. It seems as though the problems began when we switched our web/email hosting and the new hosting requires authentication, but I don’t know how to provide that for all users or what on earth I need to do to get this right.

Our setup:
    1 exchange server box in our office (only for sending email and not receiving)
    Email provider (Arvixe) with accounts created for all users

In outlook for all users:
    Exchange Account
    Arvixe account (pop & SMTP) (Send and receive mail)

Mail sent to Domain users gets sent to and received through Exchange just fine. We receive external mail through another account configured in Outlook for Arvixe and this gets saved into the Exchange Account inbox.

Goal
    This is what we want to do (how it was working with our old provider):
    Use Exchange Server as our default account to send email and it gets sent internally and externally.

Internal domain users get mail just fine. Anything that is sent to external domains does not go through.

Error Messages:
    We get the following error messages in the Event log of the Exchange Server:

Event ID 7004
    Category SMTP Protocol
    Event ID 7004

This is an SMTP protocol error log for virtual server ID 1, connection #1. The remote host ““, responded to the SMTP command “rcpt” with “530 SMTP authentication is required. “. The full command sent was “RCPT TO: “. This will probably cause the connection to fail.

The Non delivery receipt looks like this:

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient’s email server. Please contact your system administrator.
    < ..local #5.5.0 smtp;530 SMTP authentication is required.>

What We Have Done To Fix
    In the Outlook clients, we had our Exchange Server account set as default. Changed it yesterday when the issues started coming up so that it’s our email provider account that is the default. Mail works fine when sent to outside recipients through the Arvixe account. But if it’s sent through Exchange, then we have the errors.

In Exchange, I created a SMTP connector to forward mail using DNS (have email provider dns servers as forwarders) and I enabled basic authentication with TLS using the username and password of an email account with our new email provider. I thought this worked as I didn’t get an almost instantaneous DNR.

I did however, get a delayed message, then just before completing this post, I got the NDR with the ‘could not deliver in the time specified’ error.

So I really don’t know what to do here. I don’t mind starting over and changing our configuration as this is driving me bonkers! :)

Update:
    I changed the authentication to basic and unchecked TLS. It may have worked now, but still, if this is not the way to do this, I want to know and want to fix it right. – Thanks!

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
    Thanks much!
    JB

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.