ESXi Dell server question

Home Forums Virtualization VMware Virtualization ESXi Dell server question

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • flesz

Hi All,

I am planning on adding some more disks to the Dell R520 server and I wonder if I can do it while server is operational without causing any disruption.
    Server is located in a remote office and preferably I want to do it during working hours as office is closed over the weekend.

At the moment server is running ESXi 5.1 , it has 6 slots used out of 8

What I want to do is remove 2 disks and put 4 new ones so all 8 slots are in use.

At the moment physical config is

disk 1,2 – RAID 1 – datastore1
    disk 3,4,5,6 – RAID 5 – datastore2

I want to move VMs to datastore1 (it is a free esxi so I need to do cold migration, I can do that out of hours) .

When that’s done I want to delete datastore2 , go to the office and physically remove disks 5,6 and add new 5,6,7,8
    This is the bit I am concerned with, will that not cause any issues with ESXi and VMs running on datastore1?

If not then I can remote console after hours (using idrac) and go to RAID config and configure the disks.

Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Don't leave your business open to attack! Come learn how to protect your AD in this FREE masterclass!REGISTER NOW - Thursday, December 2, 2021 @ 1 pm ET

Active Directory (AD) is leveraged by over 90% of enterprises worldwide as the authentication and authorization hub of their IT infrastructure—but its inherent complexity leaves it prone to misconfigurations that can allow attackers to slip into your network and wreak havoc. 

Join this session with Microsoft MVP and MCT Sander Berkouwer, who will explore:

• Whether you should upgrade your domain controllers to Windows Server
    2019 and beyond
  • Achieving mission impossible: updating DCs within 48 hours
  • How to disable legacy protocols and outdated compatibility options in
    Active Directory

Sponsored by: