Error joining Win Server 2008’s domain (possible DNS issue)

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 Error joining Win Server 2008’s domain (possible DNS issue)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    jerry_03

Just got Win Server 2008 running on my ESXi server, with the intentions of running it as a 24×7 DC for my home network.

I installed the role as Active Directory Domain Services. I unchecked the option to install the DNS server with it, because I want to use my ISP’s DNS servers. my FQDN is home.smithnet.com

However when I tried to connect my first host to the domain, I get this error:

Quote:
    The following error occured attempting to join the domain “HOME”:

An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

At first i figured this was because I didnt install the DNS role. So i went back and installed the DNS role to my server then added DNS fowarder to point to my ISP’s DNS servers.

I tried connecting my host to the domain again but I still get the same error.

any ideas?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.