Error demoting DC

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • venom83

Hello folks,
    I encountered an annoying error in my lab so I thought it would be nice to share.
    In the lab I had a 2008 x64 server and another win2008R2 server. The 2008 was the first DC in the domain/forest and the R2 was added later. End goal: get rid of the 2008 and leave the R2. Both running DNS.

First of all – transfer FSMO roles. Countless articles had been written about doing this, so let’s just say I used ADUC for RID, PDC and infrastructure and ntdsutil for the other two.

Happy, I went to the 2008×64 and ran DCPROMO. All was OK until the process started. Two very stressing error messages in one window:
    “The operations master roles held by this directory server could not transfer to the following remote directory server. “
    “The directory service was unable to transfer ownership of one or more floating single-master operation roles to other servers. “

After 20 times checking and rechecking the FSMO roles holder, restarts, DNS manipulations on the network adapter, the solution was:
    Remove the GC role from the server before demoting it. As a precaution, I restarted the 2008×64 after removing the GC role and the ran DCPROMO. worked like a charm…

Have fun ya all!
    Leonid

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

External Sharing and Guest User Access in Microsoft 365 and Teams

This eBook will dive into policy considerations you need to make when creating and managing guest user access to your Teams network, as well as the different layers of guest access and the common challenges that accompany a more complicated Microsoft 365 infrastructure.

You will learn:

• Who should be allowed to be invited as a guest?
  • What type of guests should be able to access files in SharePoint and OneDrive?
  • How should guests be offboarded?
  • How should you determine who has access to sensitive information in your environment?

Sponsored by: