GET-IT: TEAMS DAY | 1-Day Free Virtual Conference all about Teams. Here on Petri.com - 8/12/20 GET-IT: TEAMS DAY - 8/12/20

DNS / WINS – pointed hostname to other server and moved chares

Home Forums Server Operating Systems Windows Server 2000 / 2003 / 2003 R2 DNS / WINS – pointed hostname to other server and moved chares

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anders

Hi there,
    I just encountered a problem I thought was solved.

Computer-A: Windows SBS 2003, running DNS/WINS/Exchange etc.

Computer-B: Windows 2000 server which only serve as file server.

I have a share on Computer-B called Data, software has been written addressing the UNC path \Computer-BData as storage area. I created a share called Computer-AData and moved all the files from Computer-BData there. I unplugged Computer-B, opened DNS Management, deleted Computer-B host and created a CNAME for Computer-B with the same ip address as Computer-A.

I cannot access the share.

I can ping Computer-B and it will reply from the Computer-A ip address.
    I can access the share using \ipaddressData and \Computer-AData.

I get prompt for username and password when I try to access the share through \Computer-BData.

I tried restarting WINS and DNS services on Computer-A, I repaired the local area connection on the workstation, restarted the workstation (I can not restart the server), created an entry in the hosts file referring Computer-B to the Computer-A ip address on the workstation…

I’m running out of ideas… has anyone seen this?

All tips and tricks are welcome!
    Kind regards,

Anders

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.