DFS Replication errors after DC demotion

Home Forums Microsoft Networking and Management Services Active Directory DFS Replication errors after DC demotion

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    MikeLeone

I am testing upgrading my AD Win2008 R2 -to- Win2012 R2, using cloned and isolated copies of my DCs. I successfully added a Win2012 R2 DC to my Win2008 R2 domain. Then I demoted the Win2008 R2 DCs. That went well, with this exception:

DCDIAG is showing me DFS Replication errors (0xC0001394) about failing to communicate with partner for replication of the Domain System Volume.

(event id 5012 error 9026)

Well, yeah – that isn’t a DC anymore, just a member server, so it has nothing to do with the Domain System Volume anymore. But what I can’t figure out is why the Win2012 server is still trying to talk to it at all, after it was gracefully demoted.

I added the DFS Namespaces and DFS Replication roles to the Win2012 server (now the only DC in that domain). And under Replication, I see the Domain System Volume, but I see no references to any other server.

“DFSRDIAG dumpadcfg” isn’t showing any reference to the demoted WIn2008 DC …

DFSRADMIN mem list /rgname:”Domain System Volume” shows only 1 member – the Win2012 DC.

Most of the Google search results are for cleaning up metadata after unsuccessful demotion. But mine gracefully demoted – it isn’t still listed as a DC. Ntdsutil metadata cleanup doesn’t show the old server as something to be removed, either. The old DC is not in Sites and Services anymore, either (I removed it).

I looked at the Topology under Domain System Volume in DFSR-GlobalSettings, in System, in ADUC – nothing there about the old DC there, either.

The DFSR Health Report lists the errors, but tells me all servers are available for reporting. A propagation test from the sole DC passes, as it shows no members (which is correct, as there are no other members for DFS).

So at this point I am stumped. Anyone have any pointers? I’m guessing I need to clean up AD, probably using ADSIEdit. But I can’t find where ..

Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.