Creating a VMWare network with 2 servers and 2 clients

Home Forums Virtualization VMware Virtualization Creating a VMWare network with 2 servers and 2 clients

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    n0cturnAL

Hello everybody,

I’ve googled quite a bit, and I see people here have offered some really good advices for us VMWare Workstation newbies. I believe mine is a really simple problem, but I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong here.

My school assignment is to install and test Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010. The best scenario is to install it on a server with 2 NICs, so I’ve decided to create a separate machine for it.

So, my TMG machine is PC1. It has 2 NICs – one uses a bridged connection with PC’s physical network adapter, and the other one has a static IP address, 10.0.0.10/8. PC2 is the domain controller, DNS and DHCP server. It has only one NIC, and it is set to 10.0.0.1/8.

The clients, and I should add at least two of them, should obtain their IP addresses using the DHCP services of PC2, but if this causes problems in this configuration, it’s not mandatory.

I’ve tried at least 50 combinations of various variables and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I understand this much about networking and subnets, but for example, PC1 can ping PC2, and vice versa, but they can’t ping themselves. Also, when the bridged NIC is active and the other one disabled, PC1 has Internet access (which it should always have), but as soon as I activate the other NIC, the connection to the Internet is lost. At one moment, I was able to add PC1 to my domain regularly (VM detected a domain controller), but I don’t know what I did to lose this connectivity. Now PC1 and PC2 cannot communicate regularly. The DNS service works, because when I try to ping PC1.mydomain from PC2, it works, but when i type “ping PC2.mydomain” from PC2 itself, it doesn’t respond!

I would appreciate if somebody could give me the simplest solution here – which type of connection to use for which virtual PC (bridged, NAT, some custom VMNet), and which physical addresses to assign to the virtual adapters in Windows.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

*EDIT* the IP addresses inside virtual LAN can freely be changed, I only need two static IPs (whichever ones) for PC1 and PC2, all the other IPs can be totally random. I used these given here only as an example.
    *EDIT2* The picture says “PC1 NIC1 IP:10.0.0.1”, of course this is the IP address of PC2 (domain controller). PC1 [FMG] NIC1 IP is 10.0.0.10

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.